January 15-23, 2020
Nine Days and Eight Nights
This trip is sold out for this season. If you are interested in Chiapas 2021, please Contact Us and tell us that you would like to reserve a place for next season.
Chiapas is full of color, spirituality, culture, beauty and wonderful people. I love Chiapas. The first time that I visited, I easily fell in love. Since then I have been showing unique places in Chiapas to unique people like you!
|Trip begins at:||Villahermosa, Tabasco at our hotel on January 15 in the evening|
|Trip ends at:||Tuxtla Gutiérrez Chiapas Airport on January 23 at 8 a.m.|
|No. of days:||Nine days and eight nights|
|Areas of interest:||Festivals, history, archaeology, folk art, cuisine, anthropology|
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS TRIP
- Visiting four archaeological sites with incomparable beauty: La Venta, Palenque, Bonampak and Yaxchilán
- Enjoying the festivals in honor of St. Sebastian and St. Ildefonso in three indigenous villages: Zinacantán, Tenejapa, and San Juan Chamula
- Visiting interesting museums specializing in textiles, traditional medicine, archaeology and history
- Staying in a beautiful colonial city for four days: San Cristóbal de las Casas
- Sharing with a local family at the Lacandon Jungle and being part of their daily lives
- Learning about different aspects of the Maya’s lives in their own context, especially during the festivals. You will enjoy every minute of this time spent with their living culture
- Visiting the Sumidero Canyon and being part of the Parachicos Festival at Chiapa de Corzo
We will meet at our centrally located hotel and have our welcome dinner at 6:30 p.m. or so.
Our first stop will be the outstanding park/museum of La Venta, designed by the poet Carlos Pellicer. His main purpose was to provide an open place to display the majesty of several Olmec heads. After lunch we will travel four hours by van to the Lacandon Jungle.
Traveling by boat on the Usumacinta River, we will visit Yaxchilán, an important archaeological site where you will be amazed by its beauty and remoteness. Then we will visit another archaeological site, Bonampak, where you will be delighted with the unique colors and themes that are shown in the chambers of the Acropolis. Then we will spend some time with a Lacandon family.
We will travel to Palenque, one of the most important archaeological sites in the Maya area. You will learn about its main rulers, writing system, hierarchy and much more.
After traveling to Tuxtla Gutiérrez, the capital city of Chiapas, we will take a boat to visit the Sumidero Canyon. Then we will learn about the traditions in Chiapa de Corzo and its main fiesta, the Parachicos.
We will visit the Textiles Museum of the Maya World in San Cristóbal and enjoy the variety and versatility of the textiles of the Highlands of Chiapas. Then we will attend the main day of the fiesta to honor St. Sebastian in Zinacantán and San Juan Chamula. We will be immersed in their culture, popular religiosity and mysticism.
After visiting the Maya Museum of Traditional Medicine, we will go to Tenejapa, where we will be part of the fiesta in honor of St. Ildefonso. Then we will visit the Na Bolom Museum where we will close with the story of Frans Blom and Gertrude Duby.
Chiapas is very well known not only for its beautiful textiles but also for its pottery. At Amatenango del Valle, we will meet the most important artist in town, Juan Gómez, and we will share some time learning about the pottery traditions.
We will leave San Cristobal at 6:30am, and will arrive at the airport at Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas before 8am.
COSTS (USD) & DETAILS
|Cost per person (double occupancy*):||$1,550|
|To reserve your spot:||$775|
|Balance (due by Dec 1, 2019):||$775|
|*If you'd like a private room, add:||$350|
The tour includes:
- Transportation: from Villahermosa, Tabasco, and to the Chiapas-Tuxtla Gutiérrez Airport*
- Daily tours
- A guide specialized in archaeology, ethnography and anthropology
- Daily breakfast at the hotel
- Entrance fees to all the attractions detailed in the tour description
- Boat rides on the Usumacinta River and to see the Sumidero Canyon
- Welcome and farewell dinners
*For the convenience of the travelers, this trip will start in Villahermosa, Tabasco, and will end at the airport at Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas.
It does not include:
- Meals other than breakfasts and two dinners
- Telephone calls, laundry, etc.
This trip was designed for only sixteen travelers.
Ready to reserve? Use the button below to go to our form. Questions? Contact us. (If you need details about an alternative way to pay, we will be happy to help you.)