The best of the Folk Art and the colorful artisan fair in Chapala!
Nov 6 – Nov 14, 2023
Nine Days and Eight Nights
|Trip begins at:||Guadalajara, Jalisco on Nov. 6|
|Trip ends at:||Local Airport at Guadalajara – we will take you to the airport at 8:00 am|
|No. of days:||Nine days and eight nights|
|Areas of interest:||Festivals, history, archaeology, anthropology, cuisine, Folk Art|
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS TRIP
- Discovering the magical town of Tequila, a typical Mexican village, home of the famous drink
- Following the footsteps of one of three greatest muralists: José Clemente Orozco
- Visiting the most colorful magical villages and and the richness of the handcrafts at Tlaquepaque, Tonalá and Ajijic
- Enjoying the Annual Feria de los Maestros in Chapala and having the best opportunities to see the best quality of Folk Art in México
- Learning about the history of the most emblematic buildings in Guadalajara
- Being amazed about the beauty of Guachimontones, the most important archaeological site in Jalisco
- Enjoying the colors at the local markets and the seeing the popular religiosity with the Lady of Zapopan
You will arrive at our centrally located hotel in Guadalajara. Then we will have our first dinner together welcoming you to these nine days of adventure.
We will start our visit to Guadalajara by visiting a World Heritage Center: Hospicio Cabañas. This important cultural center houses incredible murals that José Clemente Orozco painted. Then we will continue with our visits to the most emblematic historic buildings of Guadalajara.
After breakfast we will visit two interesting places: Tlaquepaque and Tonalá. This will be an opportunity to be close to different expressions of Folk Art. We will visit galleries and we will meet local artists in order to be involved in the new wave.
Tequila – it’s not just a drink, it’s a place. Today we will go to Tequila and we will learn about the process used to make this distinctive drink, a true trademark of México.
During the first half of the day we will visit the 21st Annual Feria de Maestros del Arte at Chapala, Jalisco; the purpose is to see the highest quality of Mexican Folk Art. Then we will have time to discover the surroundings of Lake Chapala.
We will visit Jalisco’s very important archaeological site: Guachimontones. Also we will visit the Centro Interpretativo Guachimontones “Phil Weigand” and we will discover the fascinating story behind this important archaeologist and his knowledge related to the hidden geometry of the Guachimontones.
Today we will visit the basilica of Our Lady of Zapopan, which is an architectural jewel of the XVII century. Then we will go to the City Hall in order to enjoy the unique murals that José Clemente Orozco painted.
Today we will drive to a magical village, Lagos de Moreno. There we will have the opportunity to learn about the majestic neoclassical buildings that are in the city, including the Temple of Calvario and Rinconada of the Capuchin. Then we will visit the Parish of Asunción, one of the best performances of baroque buildings in America. Inside, it is as spectacular as its towers of 72 meters.
Today we will take you to the local airport in Guadalajara, in order to take your flight back home.
COSTS (USD) & DETAILS
|Cost per person (double occupancy):||$1,750|
|To reserve your spot:||$875
|Balance (due by Sept 1, 2022):||$875|
|If you'd like a private room, add:||$350|
The tour includes:
- Ground transportation
- Daily tours
- A guide specialized in archaeology, ethnography and anthropology
- Entrance fees to all the attractions detailed in the tour description
- Daily breakfast at the hotel
- Welcome dinner and seven lunches with culinary experiences
It does not include:
- Dinners, except the welcome dinner
- Telephone calls, laundry, etc.
This trip was designed for only fourteen travelers.
Ready to reserve? Use the button below to go to our form. Questions? Contact us. (If you need details about an alternative way to pay, we will be happy to help you.)