Sept 22-30, 2022
Nine Days and Eight Nights
How paltry is the more aesthetic experience compared to the sensation of watching the ritual after one has also understood the intellectual forces that explain the origins of all this. – Konrad Theodor Preuss, anthropologist
The purpose of this adventure is to enjoy the magic of the sacred México and the deep beauty of the indigenous people in our ancestral culture, as well as the deep spiritual beauty within yourself. During these days at Real de Catorce, the Huicholes honor their most important festivity, which includes peyote consumption. We invite you to participate in this powerful adventure.
|Trip begins at:||México City Internat’l Airport, on Sept 22 at 2:00 p.m.|
|Trip ends at:||México City Internat’l Airport, on Sept 30 at 4:00 p.m.|
|No. of days:||Nine days and eight nights|
|Areas of interest:||History, archaeology, folk art, cuisine, anthropology|
HIGHLIGHTS OF THIS TRIP
- Visiting five pueblos magicos: Peña de Bernal, Tequisquiapan, Jalpan de Serra, Xilitla and Real de Catorce
- Visiting the third largest monolith in the world: Peña de Bernal
- Tasting the best wines of the region at Tequisquiapan
- Visiting interesting museums specializing in folk art & masks. The mask museum at San Luis Potosí has the most important collection in México with more than 1,300 pieces
- Visiting Real de Catorce, often considered to be a ghost town
- Learning about the differences of the Huichol culture and the importance of peyote in their lives
- Visiting the holy land of the Huicholes: wirikuta
- Experiencing the beauty of the swallows and their environment
I will meet you at the International Airport in México City at 2:00 p.m. Then we will take the road to Peña de Bernal.
We will visit Peña de Bernal. This is a charming magical village and has the third largest monolith in the world. Then we will have a wine experience at the vineyards of Tequisquiapan. Then we will take our road to Jalpan de Serra.
We will spend the day visiting the Missions of Sierra Gorda. This will be a great opportunity to enjoy the extraordinarily beautiful landscape and to learn about the influence of the Jesuits in this vast area.
In the morning we will take the road to Xilitla, where we will visit the gorgeous Surreal Garden of Sir Edward James in a subtropical rainforest in the mountains of the Huasteca Potosina. Then, on the way to San Luis Potosí, we will go to the Cave of the Swallows, which is one of the most important subterranean abysses in the world and the sixth deepest.
We will enjoy San Luis Potosí, visiting several interesting places such as the Centenario Arts Center and Leonora Carrington Museum, the National Mask Museum & the historic downtown.
We will travel to Real de Catorce, a little town hidden among the mountains, right beside the healing energy of the desert. This charming town is where the ethnic people, Huicholes, have their sacred place. We will stay here for three days. We will visit the desert and learn about the importance of the peyote for the Huicholes.
Today will be another opportunity to enjoy what Real de Cartorce offers: peace, tranquility, quiet moments alone to wander along the cobbled streets, and then we will visit historical places such as the Parroquia de la Purísima Concepción, the mint, the arena, and Plaza Hidalgo, which will envelope you in a magical atmosphere with every step you take.
The traditional way to enjoy the rugged surroundings of Real de Catorce is traveling in a Willy’s, an old 4×4 Jeep, or as well to ride a horse. We take advantage of both ways to enjoy this place. We will go to El Cerro del Quemado, also known as Wirikuta, the sacred zone of the Huichol, which has a flora and fauna typical of the desert. Here it is possible to find the famous peyote plants, which the Huicholes ingest to receive the “gift of seeing” as one of their rituals and beliefs. From this hill, you will have an incredible view of the town that you can not miss, but the truth is that it is a very sacred place, so it is likely that you will find small offerings so respect everything you find on the hill. Just enjoy it!
Early in the morning we will take the road to México City. We will be at the International Airport by 4:00 p.m.
COSTS (USD) & DETAILS
|Cost per person (double occupancy*):||$1,750|
|To reserve your spot:||$875|
|Balance (due by July 1, 2022):||$875|
|*If you'd like a private room, add:||$350|
The tour includes:
- Ground transportation, from México City International Airport to Peña de Bernal, Xilitla, San Luis Potosí and Real de Catorce, and return
- Daily tours
- A guide specialized in archaeology, ethnography and anthropology
- Entrance fees to all the attractions detailed in the tour description
- Horseback riding and Willy’s Jeep 4×4 transportation at Real de Catorce
- Daily breakfast at the hotel
- Welcome dinner and eight lunches
It does not include:
- Telephone calls, laundry, etc.
This trip was designed for only fourteen travelers.
Ready to reserve? Use the button below to go to our form. Questions? Contact us. (If you need details about an alternative way to pay, we will be happy to help you.)